Meadowlark Books has been publishing fiction, memoir, and poetry since 2014. We are the home of The Birdy Poetry Prize, an annual poetry manuscript contest featuring a cash prize and publication of the winning entry.
We are currently accepting poetry manuscripts for consideration, as well as entries to The Birdy Poetry Prize for 2020 (extended deadline - January 19, 2020). Please review our guidelines before entering. Check back for open fiction and memoir reading periods.
All entries will also be considered for standard Meadowlark Books publishing contract offers.
- Submission and contest entry fee of $25 must be received by January 19, midnight.
- Full-length poetry manuscripts (55 page minimum, 90+ pages preferred) will be considered. Poems may be previously published in journals and/or anthologies, but not in full-length, single-author volumes. All poets are eligible to enter, regardless of publishing history.
- Manuscript Preparation - The author’s name should not appear anywhere on the document. Two files will be submitted as follows:
File 1 - "information" should include:
- Your full name as it would appear in publication
- postal mail address
- phone number
- brief bio
File 2 - "manuscript" should include - Author's name should NOT appear in this file.
- title of collection
- a complete list of contents
- any section or division headings
- all poems of the collection
Note: Poets submitting before the January 19 deadline are invited to enter The Birdy Poetry Prize contest ($25 entry fee). The winner in 2020 receives $500 cash prize plus publication. All entries to the contest will also be considered for publication.
What are we looking for? Meadowlark is interested in publishing full-length book collections of poetry. Eighty pages is a good number to target. Fewer is fine if your poems are long. More is fine if your poems are brief. We are delighted by illustrations, but certainly don’t require them. We will also consider collections that include poetry and prose.
Please read this page before submitting a manuscript to Meadowlark Books.
Prepare your submission, as follows, in a single Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text File (.rtf):
Author Name (as it will appear on your book, should we publish it)
Author contact, including mailing address, email address, phone number.
Author website (if applicable)
Author bio (book worthy – no more than 300 words)
List of books published, including dates and publisher (if any) or significant publications in journals, magazines, online, etc.
In no more than one page, tell us why you think your manuscript is a good fit for Meadowlark.
Begin your manuscript here, starting with the title page. Include a complete list of contents in order (no page numbers). Include any section or division headings. Manuscript should also include author bio, personal acknowledgments, and publishing acknowledgments.