Meadowlark Press has been publishing fiction, memoir, and poetry since 2014. We are the home of The Birdy Poetry Prize, an annual poetry manuscript contest featuring a cash prize and publication of the winning entry. We are also home to the creative nonfiction journal of Kansas, 105: Meadowlark Reader, with Quincy Press.
- January 15-February 28, 2021 - Accepting nonfiction manuscripts.
- May 1-June 30, 2021 - Accepting creative nonfiction essays for 105: Meadowlark Reader.
- The next open reading period for non-fiction is January 15-February 28, 2021.
- The next open reading period for Fiction is January 15-February 28, 2022.
View our submission guidelines here.
What are we looking for? Meadowlark is most interested in publishing full-length memoirs, true stories of growing up, lives lived, in the Midwest. While we will consider manuscripts of any length, a minimum of 50,000 words is recommended for memoir submissions.
We are looking for memoir writers who draw us in with story, who can make us feel the experience of living in a particular time or place.
Other types of nonfiction will be considered, as well. If you have a complete manuscript that you feel is a fit for Meadowlark, send it along!
Please read this page before submitting a manuscript to Meadowlark Books.
Prepare your submission, as follows, in a single Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text File (.rtf):
The manuscript should include:
- Author Name (as it will appear on your book, should we publish it)
- Author contact, including mailing address, email address, phone number.
- Author website (if applicable)
- Author bio (book worthy – no more than 300 words)
- List of books published, including dates and publisher (if any) or significant publications in journals, magazines, online, etc.
- In no more than one page, tell us why you think your story is a good fit for Meadowlark
- Please share an overview of your marketing plan.